Artifacts are available for loan to museums and other similar cultural heritage institutions. Loan requests should be received in writing at least three months prior to the start of the loan period. The request should clearly state the artifact(s) requested, the intended purpose, and the proposed dates of the loan. All loans will be made for a period of up to one year, with possible renewal upon review.
Requests will be reviewed by collections staff, and approved or denied by the supervisor of collections and the museum director.
Loans from the Permanent Collection may be approved only if the following conditions are met:
- Loan of the artifact will not diminish the interpretation potential (via exhibits or educational programming) of the Wyoming State Museum (WSM).
- A standard American Alliance of Museum's Facilities Report has been completed by the borrowing institution and has been approved by the supervisor of collections or designee based on the borrowing institution's ability to meet professional requirements for light levels, security, environmental conditions, etcetera.
- The artifact is in stable condition and will not be damaged by a move or change of environment.
- The borrowing institution has provided the WSM registrar with acceptable proof of insurance coverage for any artifact to be borrowed that has an individual or total value equal to or more than $1,000. The insurance will include the time the artifact is in transit.
- The expenses of packing and transporting loaned artifacts shall be borne by the borrower, unless other arrangements are made and approved by the WSM director. Transport by the borrower may be possible but must be approved by WSM collections staff.
- Additional conditions and requirements for proper artifact handling, exhibit techniques, etcetera may be imposed in writing by the state museum to further preserve and protect artifacts while on loan.
Please send loan requests to:
Mariah Emmons, Registrar
Wyoming State Museum
2301 Central Avenue
Cheyenne, WY 82002